Ask an expert

18 Feb 2003

My 16 year son has started stuttering out of the blue.Only certain words, those beginning with d,g,c cause him to stutter.

I consider him well adjusted,he does well at school,does well at sport,has lots of friends and our home life is good.

What causes this? Should I take him to a speech therapist,psychiatrist or will it go away.
Answer 269 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear tonsil,
At a distance, it's hard to tell. It's relatively unusual for a boy to start stuttering in adolescence, having been perfectly fluent before, and might suggest some areas of stress troubling him, though it sounds, at least on the surace, that everyhing's fine. A psychiarist ould assess whether there are any other factors at play here ; maybe a speech therapist would be a good first assessment, though, as they would have much more experience with stuttering as such. Maybe you can eurn to the Forum with a fresh message, and let us know what the opinion is ?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9267 votes
66% - 17859 votes