Question

Subject: new diet-will it work??
hi there Fitness Doc maybe you can help me out here---
I started a new diet today.It is from a dietician that was passed on to me. it consists of 1450 calories one day and 13350 calories the next. i dont have a problem with it as you eat banana's and shakes in between main meals,so effectively eat 5-6 small meals a day. And it makes me lose my appetite anyway. the only problem i have is that i cant eat the seed loaf gi bread everyday as it makes me bloated and uncomfortable. so im trying another low gi bread that has a bit of rye in it too. its very nice.I may cheat a little here and there. will this dramatically hinder weight loss?
i am 20 years old, 85kgs and desperate to lose weight.just to be healthy! i drink on average 8 glasses per day some days bit more (when gyming). How often should i go to gym to begin with..3 days a week? any idea how long it will take me to start seeing results? from this week- i will have NO take out,junk food, alcohol, fizzy cooldrink and so on. All the things that are bad for me i am stopping!
Date: 31/7/2006

Hi Lola

I don't think that a small change will dramatically hinder your weight loss, no. I think that provided the overall diet is healthy, you will be OK. I do have some doubts and reservations about your diet - not the parts about it being free of junk food and alcohol and the like, but I do have to question the calories intake. I think it's too low, most people burn between 1800 and 2200 Cal a day, and to lose weight, you do have to take in less than you use, but not extreme amounts and I'm not entirely convinced that your diet is providing enough energy. If you are not hungry however, and you feel that you are getting enough energy, then continue with it though. But be aware that if you do start to feel tired or lacking in energy, this lack of energy in your diet is perhaps the first place to look. So just be aware and alert to this possibility.

As for your gym, 3 days a week is, in my opinion, too few. Not that i want to be a boot camp type advocate of training every day super hard, but 3 days a week means that you DON"T train more often than you DO. For that reason, I would suggest that you do 4 or 5 days a week. In my experience, this increase in consistency makes an enormous difference.

Hope it helps, and keep an eye out for any lack of energy or tiredness, in which case, eat more!