Question

Sudden Allergy and I can not lose weight after cortizone
In February 2002 I bought a slimming mixture from a chemist. I used it for 10 weeks and lost
7.7 kg when I stopped I had a bad allergic reaction and landed up in hospital (ICU).

Since then I have been numerous doctors and allergy clinic in Wilge Heuwel. I was on Cortizone for two months then only on Telfast and Atarax. They determined that I am allergic to Salicilates. Mainly Aspirin.

I picked up 11.5kg in this time and have tried franticly to shed them but to no availe.

I was wondering if you had some advice on this. What I could try or what I will need to do.

Your oppion will be appreciated.

Melanie

Dear Melanie
I am sorry to hear about your health problems. This once again underlines the potential dangers of taking slimming pills and products that may contain ingredients that have a negative effect on health. In view of your rather complex allergy, I would suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) for the name of your nearest dietitian), who will work out a slimming diet that takes your sensitivity to salicylates into account.
Take care