Question

Sudden Jerk when falling asleep
When I am falling asleep my body suddenly jerks. In some instances it's just certain parts of my body. This only happens when I am abouty to enter the 'sleep stage.' I have read somewhere on the internet that it could be due to a lack of magnesium. Could this be the start of something serious?

Kind Regards

Dear Jerks
No this is not serious, this is called a Hypnic jerk or a sleep jerk or sleep start or Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. This is regarded as a type of sleep disorder. Treatment is with benzodiasepines or anti-epileptics. It is not dangerous but can lead to chronic tiredness because of disrupted sleep. If you suspect that this is happening every night and more than once it may be useful to get a sleep quality evaluation at a sleep laboratory to see if you need to take preventative medication.