Question

Sugar cravings
Please could someone help me I''m having sugar cravings, I''ve been tested fro diabetes and its negative, this happens now and again, I hardly eat starchy food, is there perhaps something I can take to curb this habit ?

Dear Kathryn
Ironically your sugar cravings can be due to the fact that you don't eat other carbohydrates (starchy foods). Cravings for sugary foods, may be due to a lack of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a compound that improves the mood and when its levels in the brain get too low, the body compensates by making you crave carbohydrates (which help to increase the serotonin levels again). It is important to eat at least one low-glycaemic index carbohydrate food at each meal. Click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. If your cravings are not due to low serotonin levels, but habit, then you will have to gradually wean yourself of eating them. Make sure that you have a well balanced diet and eat regular meals and every time you want to eat a chocolate bar or sweets, have a raw veggies snack instead.