Question

"SUGAR HIGH"
In the past I've been sugar crazy. I would usually have some form of sugar like jelly tots or jelly babies, otherwise just plain old sugar out the pot. The last week I've been taking "Canderel" in place of sugar in my tea. I do still eat fruit but refined sugar and sweets are out. I'm getting headaches in the afternoon from about 3pm and that's usually when I head straight for the sugar which makes me feel better. Now that I'm not eating sugar I don't know what to do about these headaches. You would think I should just eat something but I do eat every 2 hours and usually when I want sugar, that's all I want. I'm not HUNGRY as such for anything else. It just feels like I need a "pick me up". I have been eating sugar like this my whole life and I don't want to give into this routine. My body feels like its become so dependent on this sugar in the afternoon. I also feel fatigued but I'm NOT hungry. Is it ok to feel this way in the beginning while I'm trying to get my body use to the idea of NO SUGAR and will this improve over time? When I do eat during this period it doesn't seem to help with the fatigued feeling. It's like my body is saying "sugar or nothing thank you". Can this be? It makes me moody and week. What must I do?

Dear Sweetie
Please have a medical checkup and ask your dr to test your blood glucose and insulin levels and to do a glucose tolerance test to check for hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) and diabetes. It is important to exclude both conditions because you may require treatment for diabetes. You need to eat those 6 or more small meals a day making sure that each meal contains some unprocessed carbohydrate and protein, e.g. wholewheat bread and cheese, unprocessed cereal like oats and milk or yoghurt, an apple and a handful of peanuts, etc. Your 4 pm snack is the most important and I would suggest you eat foods such as wholegrain snack breads with low-fat cottage cheese or nuts and raisins or peanut butter and milk or yoghurt. The headaches and fatigue may well be an indication of low blood sugar and if this is so, you need to cut out that sugar, all alcohol, all highly refined starches, sweets, fruit juices and very sweet fruits (grapes) and never, ever skip one of your meals. Doing regular exercise also helps to control your metabolism so do try walking or cycling or swimming, making sure that you eat one of your small meals before and after exercise.
Take care