Question

04 Apr 2007

Suicidal Mother
I am a newlywed and trying to establish my life. Last night I received a call from my mother's boyfriend (not exactly mentally healthy himself) to say that she is taking sleeping tablets (rohypnol) and trying to kill herself. I immediately sent an ambulance and my husband and I rushed over to get to her. We landed up taking her to the hospital and they pumped her stomach (she took about 15 pills).

My mother is a successful businesswoman but keeps getting into mentally abusive relationships and she drinks and takes drugs to escape from her life... and I (now with my husband) are having to bail her out ALL the time.

I am tired of being the parent and I am now feeling guily but putting my husband through this. He is so supportive and loving and would never blame me, but I just want to get on with MY life now and stop being the adult in mine and my mother's relationship. I have had to be the parent since I was ten years old and I am tired of it now. How do I tell her it is enough?

Its neither your task to bail her out in these sort of episodes, nor can you ultimately help her to stop this self-destructive way of life --- she MUST be seen and assessed by a proper shrink, and given proper psychotherapy of the CBT form. Explore tough love techniques, and work on a plan to get her into proper therapy.