Question

Surgery
Two years ago I was diagnosed with a varicocele and I underwent a ligation (tying off of the veins). However the problem has not dissipated, in fact it has become worse over the part two years, and the urologist is now recommending surgical removal of the veins as the only option. This has become necessary since the veins are visible and they are causing discomfort. I don't know whether the urologist has gone through all the risks or possibilities of complications arising from this surgery with me, he has only alluded to the obvious ones- loss of blood during surgery / risk of infection afterwards. But what about risks specific to this area, for instance damaging a nerve or causing other permanent damage? To complicate matters further, he has not actually performed this particular procedure before! In your opinion would it be wise to consult a urologist with more experience? And also are there any major risks or complications that may arise from this procedure? (note- as with the ligation the surgical incision for this procedure would be made near the bladder and not in the groin as I have heard to sometimes be the case)

Jack, I think getting a second opinion from a different urologist isn’t a bad idea. There are different options than just surgery – embolisation for instance. He should also to be able to give you the pros and cons of the different options. Good luck.