Ask an expert
Question

19 Aug 2010

Swallowed small metal ball
My two year old son swallowed a small stainless steel ball about 8mm in diameter. He didn''t choke and it went straight down. My friend whose son swallowed a marble was told that it will work its way through but that she should take him for an x-ray after about a week to make sure it is out and not lodged somewhere. Can I safely do the same?
Answer 1,813 views
Expert
CyberDoc
Cyberdoc

01 Jan 0001

Hallo Jess
Yes I think this would be the right thing to do -just to ensure that it does not get stuck in the stomach. You are SO lucky that he did not choke on it!
Dr Bets



The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes
34% - 9265 votes
No
66% - 17845 votes
Vote