Question

Swellings below the ear
Good day
My daughter is 7 and is complained about a swelling just below her ears. (It originally looked like mumps but turned out not be) One doctor mentioned that it was an inflammation of the pyrotic gland. Could you give me more info on this gland and what would be the best treament.

Al123, mumps is one of the causes of infection of the parotid gland (parotitis). Basically any organism can infect the parotid gland, but mumps is the most common one (I’m interested in how your doctor excluded this possibility). Bacterial infections are less common but much more serious. People get very sick (high fever, loss of appetite, muscle aches and pains and of course, severe cheek pain). If she’s still sick by the time you get this reply, you should take her back or get a second opinion. Good luck.