Question

Swimming
I''m 26, vegetarian since last year, and I''m thin with a belly. I''d like to build muscle on my legs and arms, and lose weight around my belly. Because my knees don''t seem in the best health, I don''t jog. I cycle or swim.

I''d like swimming to be my main exercise. Would that be enough to build muscle and lose fat around the stomach? If not, what else should I do?

I have another question related to swimming. I''m still not very good with water. I swim in the deep end, but when I go under water and come back up, I tend to drink a bit of water and the biggest problem is I fill my stomach with air. Is that normal or do i still have to learn how to avoid that? I don''t have a teacher who I could as that question because I''m learning on my own.

Thank you!

Hi Patricia

So cycling or swimming is good, yes, but maybe not for building muscle as you wish to do. The best way to achieve that is to get into the gym and do some specific weight training. Not pumping iron like you may think, but some sort of circuit session would help a lot. The swimming would then form the base of your training, its staple component, and you could work around that with weight training and cycling. So on a four-day a week programme, go with 3 days of swimming, 1 weight session with a combination of circuit training on the weights if you can.

Re the swimming, that's just a technical matter that you can learn with practice and familiarity in the water. That's probably not much consolation right now, but it will improve, it's just got to do with the timing and your comfort in the water, to be patient, to control how and when you breathe.

Ross