Question

02 Apr 2007

SWIMMING BEGINNER PROGRAMME

I'm starting the beginners swimming fitness programme from the site largely because of moderate and intermittent lower back pain excluding running and weights.

Please would you tell me what the sets "pull" and "kick' mean? My interpretation is swim with no kicks and then swim with no arm movements. That's going to be difficult for me!

Karl

Hi Karl

You're pretty much on the ball - pull means to swim the length (or distance) without kicking which is not that difficult, in fact, because it is probably what you are doing anyway, without thinking about it. Most swimmers have to consciously think to kick and so you see that they will swim maybe four or five strokes with the arms for every one kick. So all you do on a pull is focus on pulling harder with the arms. You will also have to concentrate hard on your hips and keeping them elevated in the water - this is an important part of swimming anyway though.

For the kicks, one would usually use a board of some kind - I forget the name, but it's those flotation devices that people can hold at the front and kick. Perhaps you gym has them. Otherwise, you will have to reach your amrs out in front of you, concentrate really hard on keeping your hips elevated and then go for it! I'm quite sure you will be able to do it, it may take some practice, that's all. Failing this, do it as backstroke until you are more comfortable in the water.