Question

swimming, how much how often
good day,

I am a young woman in my early twenties and would like to start swimming for exercise, Our pool is 8m in length, how many laps (or for how long) will it be good for me to swim. I would also like to know how many days a week will be good for me. I am 1,7m tall and 55kg, I don't do any exercise at the moment (well almost)

HI there

Swimming is an excellent form of exercise, but should be supplemented with weight bearing exercise as well (eg walking/jogging/aerobics/tennis) etc. since this type of exercise is crucial for bone health.

I would strat off with about 15 mins of swimming (see how many lengths you can swim in this time). Then try to build up to swimming for about 30 minutes three times a week, but make sure you are doing weight bearing exercise about twice a week. As you get fitter, you can try to increase you speed in swimming, so that you cover more lengths in the 30 minute period.

Enjoy!