Question

Swollen eye
Dear Doctor,

Last night my left eye was paining, I took painkillers and went to bed, this morning my left eye''s lid was swollen it''s the size of a pigeon egg, I bathed it with equal amounts of bi-carb and table salt, it seemed to ease off but still feels a little uncomfortable because of the swelling. What can be wrong and what else should I do ? I also suffer from high blood pressure and am on chronic medication....Thank you so much Kathryn !

Kathryn

A painful, swollen eye has to be examined by a doctor. Please consult your GP as soon as possible for an examination, as you might have an infection that is effecting the soft tissue surrounding the eye. If there is infection, it should be treated with a course of antibiotics as soon as possible.