Question

Swollen Tubes
I have been advised that I might have a swollen tube and the mucus could be dripping back to my uterus therby killing of any pregnancy which might occur. My other tube is grown together in a mass with adhesions, ovary and bowl. I had IVF in Novemebr which was unsuccessful although something did happened but never developed which led to 6 weeks of bleeding. I was looking into IVF again but my doctor advised the decision is up to me of whether to first remove the tube or first to do IVF. Is there no other method to prevent the mucus from going to my uterus or maybe to clean it with anti-biotics? I had a dye test last year which showed both tubes are open, but we don't know whether the one which is grown together is functional. I have PCOS and fibroids. Why would a swollen tube cause the mucus to backdrip even though it is open? What do you suggest?

Thanks alot. I find your advice very comforting.

Your doctor has probably used a simplified explanation and I am not sure exactly what was meant. It has been shown though that IVF success rates are improved after removal of a damaged tube. There is probably more than one reason for this. Possible the mucus theory that your doctor explained is one of them.