Question

Systemic Lupus (SLE)
I went to a rheumatologist because I have sore joints and was diagnosed with lupus. I'm not 100% convinced that I have lupus and would like to find a another doctor for a second opinion. I had a full blood count which seemed normal and was told that my anti-nuclear factor tested positive. I would like to know if the positive result on the anti-nuclear test is an indication of lupus. I have stopped taking my medication (prednisone and plasmaquine) but am not sure that I have done the right thing. Would it be possible to please advise what kind of doctor can give me a second opinion. Also any info on anti-nuclear factor. Thank you

Hi Lee
You can look on easyinfo.co.za under medical for another rheumatologist in your area. Ask your current doctor for copies of all your tests and tell him that you would like a second opinion - it is your right as a patient. ANF is an indication but not an absolute test for SLE . See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinuclear_antibody