Ask an expert

27 Jul 2005

Talking 2 sml kids on the phone
My hubby's 2 boys are living in the UK. They are 7 and 5. It is a rather sad situation - but unfortunatly his ex doesn't have any family here and so emigrated there 2 years ago.

We dont have problems or hassles with her.
(I hate the fact that she could take the boys away from their Dad)
But we saw the boys this year for a holiday after not seeing them for 1 whole year and it was obvious that she doesn't bad mouth us at all cos it was as if they had never left. So that was nice.

We call them as often as we can - but it is really difficult to have a conversation over the phone with them.
How do you talk to a child on the phone - keep them interested and get them to tell you things in more than 1 word??

And the other day we phoned them and my hubby and me say "I love you" to them and they dont say it back :0( They just say - "ok".
I cant imagine what goes on in their minds. Will they be fine?
Are children able to deal with situations like this?
They got divorced when the kids were still very small - the oldest was 3. So they should be "used to the situation"?

I guess, if we just love them as much as we can or how we can. And keep telling them that - at least they will know that?
Its so hard and so sad that they're far away.
Answer 289 views

01 Jan 0001

I expect that they will indeed be fine --- adults find a long-distance relationship hard to maintain, and often find it hard to have a meaningful conversation by phone, so how much more so will it be complex with children. Even when living together, parents and children don't always find it easy to have a meaningful discussion, as the children's interests are generally so different from those of adults, and the more so when there are no longer shared activities. Children are far more resilient than most adults give them credit for. They will remmber that they have been loved. And they will love you, though they don't often say that, even when living in the same house.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9260 votes
66% - 17820 votes