Question

TB
I am a 45 year old (white) woman and to my horror have been diagnosed with tuberculosis. I went to the doc with a cough and after xrays she diagnosed TB. I had blood tests which confirmed the diagnosis. I then went and had a bronchoscopy which results were negative, they found nothing. Further xrays showed the infection, whatever it is, had spread. I then had a high res scan and they eventually confirmed that I had TB. I have been on the medication for a week. I have had conflicting answers to my question - from 'you're not because its not in your sputum (bronchoscopy)' to 'you are until you're on the medication for two ... three.... weeks .... 24 hours...". So once and for all --- am I or am I not infectious and if so for how long and how will I know when I'm NOT? My family won't come near me.

Lauren, as soon as your sputum is negative you’re not infective anymore. The best would be to see a physiotherapist and ask her to help collect 3 sputum samples (don’t worry, they know what to do). If the samples are negative everybody can stop worrying. Good luck.