Question

TB
At my baby day care it was reported that 2 children have the TB bug and that it is not contacious because they got it from the primary source and they are the secondary source. The children are using medicine and the primary source also. Is my child save?
EnviroHealth expert
envirohealth expert

I am not sure why this explanation about 'primary and secondary sources' was given by the day care centre.

Basically, if any of the children have active TB infection (i.e. they show symptoms and have been ill), then they are infectious. They may still be infectious even if they have been taking medicine. If they have latent TB infection (i.e. the bug is dormant in their bodies, and they have had no signs of illness) then they are not infectious.

Small children are vulnerable to TB, and I think you should ask your doctor about having your child tested for infection. This is a standard test and it is a good idea for your child to have it done at some stage in any case, given that South Africa has such high TB rates.

You may want to also post this question on CyberDoc's forum.