Ask an expert

22 Nov 2005

Teen sex
I have a niece (14 yrs) who lives with me, my late brothers child. He was shot 12 years ago, her mother abondened her. She asks boys for sex, close friends of my children aged 19 and 21which is very embarassing, I have tried to talk to her about it but she does not seem to care or respond well to the conversations. Her Mother had a very bad reputation can this be inherited or does she just want the attention and how do I deal with it. I do not think she is having sex but might be wrong. She is a hyper active child and takes ritalin daily, can this increase her sexual desire?
Answer 343 views

01 Jan 0001

She obviously needs to see a counsellor, preferably a child psychiatrist or child psychologist, asap. Such bad behaviour dosn't seem to be inherited in the usual way, though bad mothering and maybe earyl exposure to sexual behaviour, may influence it. And of course even if she isn't so far, actually having sex, one day she is likely to meet someone who will accept the invitation. I wonder if the ritalin might possibly be playing a role --- but yes, a thorough assessment by a child psychiatrist would be adviseable
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9322 votes
67% - 18697 votes