Question

Tertroxin vs Eltroxin
I had a thyroid op when I was 15 years old.They did not remove the whole thyroid. I am now 42.

My TSH function is below normal and has been for the last couple of years, i.e. between 0.01 and 0.03. I take two 1mg Eltroxin daily. I weigh 85 kg.

I have been told that I am a candidate for tertroxin as it works on both the T3 and T4 and not just one of them as is the case with eltroxin.

Apparently I have the classic symptoms of metabolic syndrome and therefore eltroxin is insufficient.

What is tertroxin?

Will tertroxin improve the normal working of the thyroid and will it also help me to lose weight?

Thanking you in anticipation!

Pharmacist
pharmacist

Alida,

Your thyroid produces two hormones, thyroxine (T4, or Levothyroxine) and triiodothyronine (T3, or Liothyronine). The Tertroxin that you have been prescribed contains liothyronine (T3), whereas Eltroxin contains Levothyroxine (T4). T4 and T3 are used to replace natural production of thyroid hormones if loss is due to disease or in your case, an operation. Another tablet called,Diotroxin contains both T3 and T4.
Tertroxin is changed in the bloodstream to thyroxine, and very quickly (faster that eltroxin) replenishes the body's low levels of this hormone. Tertroxin does not improve the normal working of the thyroid but supplements what the thyroid does not produce.

Amongst others, weight gain may be a result of hypothyroidism, a disease in which the thyroid gland is underactive and does not produce enough thyroxine, a hormone which is important for controlling your metabolism. Should tertroxin be able resolve the hypothyroidism, and should the weight gain that you are experiencing be due to the slow metabolism caused by hypothyroidism, the chance do exist that it may help you lose weight.