Ask an expert

20 Aug 2010

Testical Cancer 10 years ago now having sexual problems
My brother had testical cancer 10 years ago. One had to be removed. The last two years he had several problems like hot flashes and he said that he feels uncomfortable in men clothes, he sometimes feels that he want to be a woman. He don''t like underpants, because it irritates him and he feel comfortable in woman''s dresses. His hormones have been tested - the testosterone levels was very low. He was given an injection and had to go back in a months time. I don''t really think that he had worked through the whole process after being diagnosed with the cancer. He went for a biopsy and when he came by, the one testical was removed. He sounds very " bitter"  about that. Why now after so many years he go through this symptoms. He''s married with two beautiful children. He don''t want to go and see a phsyciatrist. What do you think is the problem and what can I do to help him. He is now 42 years of age. He is every day on the road except Sundays. Please help
Answer 344 views

01 Jan 0001

If your brother doesn't want to seek help, then that is his choice. The best you can do is hear him out when he is trusting you with this very intimate information. Try not to solve it, just hear him out and see what he wants to do with this information. It may be he just wants to share this, it may be he is searching for a solution. You can tell him that there are specific services for people with his feelings (i.e. he is not alone or a freak). It may be that his testicular cancer and reduced testosterone has nothing to do with his feelings - these may have been there before...they may not and they may well be part of his anger about what he went through. If it gets too much for you, then perhaps you can just tell him that you want to support him but that you are out of your depth - he can call the SASHA helpline and ask for a referral to a specialist (not necessarily a psychiatrist) in a town close to him - 0860 100 262.

Claire - SASHA
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9269 votes
66% - 17863 votes