Question

TESTS
Dear CyberDoc

I had my routine monthly blood and urine tests done yesterday (for my kidney infection monitoring). I also had my fasting cholesterol test done. From what I can remember, any previous routine blood tests that my GP has done only required 3 tubes of blood, which I seem to think included my cholesterol test. Yesterday I had 4 tubes taken. (2 gold tubes, 1 purple tube and 1 grey tube). I have assumed that the purple one is for my FBC, platelet, ESR etc. and the grey one for my cholesterol (I looked up the color of the tubes on the Lancet website!). My question is what are the gold tubes used to test for and why would I have needed 2 tubes? I couldn’t figure out from the Lancet site what these tubes were used for. One of the tests it said was P24 antigen What is this test?

I don’t have my results yet, I only get them on Saturday.

Thanks again for your help.

Anxious, I’m sorry that I only get to your question now (23/2). I suppose that you have your answers already, except for one thing – the grey tube is used for blood sugar tests. Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.