Question

Thank you CyberShrink
Dear CyberShrink

I have posted a few letters to you and sometimes answered other's letter - more for moral support than advise. I know that listening to complaints all the time and coming up with a motivating reply is often a thankless task.

Your answers are alway straight to the point, encouraging and always given with good advise to follow. The questions asked are sometimes very embarrassing and most people would never approach a doctor, psychologist etc in real life. This is sometimes their last hope of getting unbiased advise.

Thank you for always replying in such detail. Sometimes people are scared to ask questions from doctors because we don't want to appear silly, for either not knowing the answer, in case the answer is obvious, or because we think that the problem may not be serious or important enough.

Every answer I have seen (even sometimes to what seems like trivial questions) felt like it was important enough for you to have not only answered but sometimes answered in such length that is makes the writer feel validated in asking such questions. Sometimes it is not expressed but all of us writing to you really do appreciate the answers you have given us.

It is a pity that you never get to see some of the positive effects that you have had on people's lives, via the this site. But nevertheless I know a lot of us have been effected in positive ways. It is wonderful to know that there is someone that we can turn to when there is a question that we would never ask anyone else.

I have highly recommended you and this site to a lot of my friends and will continue to do so. I thank you for all your time, effort and energy spent on our questions!

Wendy

Dear Wendy,
Thank you so much for all your kind comments. It is as validating and encouraging for a shrink to hear that the work is appreciated, as for anyone else. And because, in the nature of things, people who do find that advice helps them to feel better, may be less likely to return and tell us that, it's especially comforting when someone does take the small trouble to do that.
The big reason why I appreciate it when people return to the Forum and reveal how they have progressed / benefitted, is that this is so encouraging to other readers. When folks feel that their problems might be insurmountable and impossible to relieve, it can be especially valuablefor them to hear and see how others, in similar situations, have followed advised routes and have solved and risen over their problems.
I used to try to train doctors in the art of how to communicate ( an uphill battle a times, but well worth it ! ) and always emphasized that it is their task to make it easy and comfortable for anyone else to feel safe to ask them any question. No question is too silly to be worth asking --- IF it is sincere and genuine, and if it's about something that is troubling the person asking.
Thanks again,