Question

the "cheating thing"
I think it's an ego thing - this person is only feeding their ego by testing to see how may people's affection they can "win over" it could be a lustful thing but one thing for sure when no -one is feeding their ego they probably feel like a worthless piece of shit.
They are definately not deserving of a loving relationship - people that hurt others over and over will iin turn be hurt by the one that they do decide to finally settle with. That's all it is - settling........ until their ego needs another boost that is.
Well the tables always turn and what goes around comes around. I think a low self esteem plays a major role in this factor as well. But hell what do I know?
But there could be a number of reasons - all of whcih are no excuse for breaking another person's heart.
The challenge - not being able to have what you want
The thrill - just to see what it's like
Just plain old jags/Lastig - you refuse to control your sexual urges and just have to check everyone's oil or taste every piece of cake that comes your way.
I don't know if men cheat more than women or if the women are just better at not getting caught.
Take care all
Juz

Maybe its a variant on the hunting instnct. And Juz, you've also picked up on an important point --- some behaviours can be at least partly EXPLAINED, but explanation does not equal justification, and an explanation is not an excuse. And what an interesting idea is coiled up in your last sentence !