Question

The Diet Everyones Talking About
Hi there,
I suffer from Insulin Resistance and recently was told that "The Diet That Everyones Talking About" will sort my Insulin levels out. What do you think?

Dear Cindy
If you suffer from insulin resistance (IR) then it is not a good idea to use a high-protein, high-fat diet like 'The Diet that everyone is talking about'. You need a low-fat diet with a low glycaemic index (GI) to sort out your IR, not a high-fat diet. Please consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in the treatment of IR. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 or more minutes a day is also an important aid to losing weight and controlling your insulin levels. So get as active as possible.