Question

The Drop-out Syndrome
I have met many fathers who are simply not interested in working for a living. Even though they are healthy, fit and intelligent. I did manage to get one guy (someone whom I took a liking to) to work for 7 years non-stop, at the same company. That was not easy. His wife and children were so grateful. I felt so proud. They could pay the rent and put food on the table. Everytime he wanted to leave his job, for the slightest reason, I would convince him to return. Now he has absconded again for the umpteenth time and I have grown tired of helping.
My question is, "Why do men with responsibilities behave like this ?"
Poor wife & kids. Such a pity !

Yup, Spooky. It's downright --- spooky. And of course it'd not at all limitd to the male species. What you're really talking about is people who have, and accept responsibilities, but have no real sense of Responsibility --- they just don't take seriously their duties to themselves and to others, and expect others to handle all the tedious and wearisome aspects of life, for them. Some, if they recongize that they have a problem and that they need to get over it, can be helped by counselling. Ohers, perhaps like the guy you mention, seem to learn very little from experience. So, with your encouragement and pushing, he might live up to his responsibilites for a time, but without absorbing any of the common sense you were lending him. And like a blood-transfusion which can be life-saving but whose effects don't last, transfusions of common sense are also fairly short-lived.
If anyone can come up with a good and reliable way of handling such people, it'd be of massive social benefit. Any takers ?