Ask an expert

08 Jun 2011

The facts
Please can you help me. I am trying to get an eating plan together and boost my metabolism. Initially I want to kickstart my weightloss and get my metabolism working.
I am trying to include more proteins than carbs in my diet. I am not cutting out carbs. Just trying to reduce where I can. Is this a good idea?
Secondly I want to know if it is true that drinking green tea can boost and speed up your metabolsim?
If I eat the following is is ok?
Weatbix with a teaspoon of sugar and skim milk.
Grilled chicken breast or 2 boiled eggs
Protein and vegetables
Snacks between will include fruit, raw veg and cottage cheese
On the weekends, I won''t be so rigid but I will eat healthily probably increasing my carbs a little but healthy choices.
Answer 542 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear The Facts
The diet you describe is certainly high in protein which will probably cause weightloss due to various factors (the diuretic effect and the satiation effect of protein), but it does not actually stimulate your metabolism. The best stimulant for a sluggish metabolism is aerobic exercise like running, skipping, cycling, etc. There is some evidence that compounds in green tea can assist with weightloss to a moderate degree. I would suggest that you include an additional portion of low-fat or fat-free yoghurt or cottage cheese instead of your protein at lunch to ensure that you obtain 1200 mg of calcium a day. Research has shown that diets high in calcium also promote weightloss. In addition it is important to ingest your daily calcium requirement to prevent brittle bones if you intend using this diet for longer periods. Keep in mind that exercise is more important for stimulating your metabolism than any other factor, so get as active as possible to obtain good results. When you are tired of eating all this protein, I would like to suggest that you have at least 1 serving of low-GI carbohydrates at every meal and cut down on the size of your protein portions.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9269 votes
66% - 17886 votes