Question

The right excercise
Dr,

I will begin first by explaining everything in detail. I was a fat boy since I can remember so this year I was able to loose 15 KG with a High Protiën Diet! I now wiegh 93 KG. I have to drop another 15 KG according to my body length. My problem is that I started to exercise and seem not to target the correct areas, my arm muscle is well defined but my upper legs at the back, my flabby face and my tummy still looks very nasty.

Can I start to jog on a serious level and will this problem desolve as I progress? And can you also assist me how to start jogging?

I am 21 years of age.

Thank you!

Hi there

It's great that you are achieving weight loss so far, and I hope that the addition of exercise will make the final difference.

A lot of your changes so far are probably due to what you have been doing in training. I don't know exactly what this is - perhaps you have been doing the circuit, some weight training, and this can very easily explain why so far, any changes would have been on the arms. This gives you the reassurance of knowing that no matter what muscle you are using, you can develop it. In otherwords, if you took up cycling or jogging, which use predominantly the legs, then over time, you can expect an increase in muscle mass of those leg muscles. Therefore, the simple answer to your question is to go for it - jogging will help a lot.

This is not the end of the story though. The problem you are describing, where you have fat appearing to gather in very specific areas is extremely common. Unfortunately, the idea of trying to lose weight in just these areas is not possible. So, you can't go to the gym and do stomach exercises for hours and hours and hope to see results in weight loss around the stomach. This is just not what happens and the reason is that the body doesn't use fat from just where the muscle is active. In otherwords, you have to aim to burn fat all over the body in order to reach these areas as well. To do this, you have to focus on dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat. Therefore, the longer answer to your question is yes, jogging will be good for you!

So, no matter how you break it down, you will benefit from doing some jogging.

As for how to start, the trick is to avoid getting injured. I suggest that you check out the following site:

http://www.health24.com/fitness/Getting_started/16-474-488,24069.asp

Here you will see a number of options for training programmes. My advice would be to choose the Shape up for Summer programme (the first or second one) and then go for that. If you feel it's too basic, then jump ahead a few weeks, but don't overdo it!