Question

The Secret
The Secret and other .....shall we call them, motivational theories have been receiving quite extensive media coverage recently and i find myself going, i wonder what CS thinks about all of this?

Now CS, you know i lean towards things esoteric and open-minded but perhaps you could clarify for me the "unparallels" with these schools of thought. How does one:

Stay detached but remain in the present
Anticipate but not dwell
Ask but not expect
W

I liked the story of the guy who asked the clerk in a bookshop where they kept the Self-Help books, and was told " If I told you that, it'd kind of undermine the whole idea of self-help, wouldn't it ? "
From what I've seen, The Secret is a totally unoriginal, but over-hyped and heavily promoted, concotion of many many other people's views and theories. And there's a placebo effect, that one tends to expect a much hyped book to somehow be more help[ful than some of the under-promoted gems which have not had the benefit of so much publicity.
I have severe doubts about whether ANY of the authors of the books you quote actually took off much to me for profound meditation, rather than market research and a more-or-less cynical intent to produce a best-seller. I"m not at all impressed by Deepak Chpra, either, but I gather he can be litigious when his work is criticized.
All of these books help some people, and when they do, it is more from whatever you bring to it when reading, and how you interpret and use it personally, than from the brilliance of the author.