Question

The use of laxatives

It was generally accepted practise to use a laxative in my culture. It was meant to "clean out your system". It was meant to aid with pimples poor eating habits and many other medical problems etc My question is "How do laxatives function and are they neccessary. Do they really clean out your system. How does differ for children and adults. Are there are benefits. What is the conjunction to deworming and detox methods?

Dear Mark
I know that it is a tradition among some population groups to use rather strong laxatives to purge the system. If you eat a balanced diet that is rich in dietary fibre (wholegrain cereals, breads, fresh fruit and vegetables and legumes) then there should be no reason why you need to use laxatives. The problem with excessive use of harsh laxatives is that they can cause diarrhoea, dehydration, loss of vital vitamins and minerals which can over time lead to deficiencies, and the loss of natural bowel movements (i.e. if you lose the ability to have normal bowel movements, then you would need to take laxatives before you can have a motion). Unless a child is suffering from bowel impaction, the use of laxatives is not a good idea and should only be undertaken under medical supervision. Rather give the child wholegrains, fresh and dried fruit to eat. If you suffer from worms then it is essential to take deworming medication which kills the worms so that they can pass out of the system - a laxative will probably not kill the worms. Detoxification generally entails going on a low-energy, liquid diet for 1-2 days - not using laxatives.