Ask an expert

07 Dec 2005

Hi CS. Hope you are well. Dont read much postings this week. So dunno how you are doing.....

I would just like to know....My sister inlaw suffers badly from depression. Since I have known her.
Sumtimes I think she doesnt want to be helped...I was very harsh with her when she phoned me again this week, just to complain once again how depressed she is.
I am tired of the complains. I offer her a shoulder & whatever I can. But then I said to her either she does sumthing, or she must stop phoning me to cry in my ears. Its been going on for 10 years....
She takes so many medication...I have no idea for what. I think its just to make her sleep so she doesnt have to face life.
I love her dearly. I mean I have been devorced for 5 years, and she is still my sis you know!? I cant really just turn my back on her.
I said to her she has to get propper treatment & therapy...she is killing herself slowly with pills.
her response.....IVE GOT NO MEDICAL.
That just drove me nuts again, cuz she's got money to dose herself? yet, i cannot argue with sumone like that.

Do you know where I can take her for propper therapy that wont cost as much......I dont have the money to pay, and if its too expensive..she wont go.
Just any options, groups.....
Or does everything cost money!?

Thanx for your time.

Answer 400 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Delene,
it is awfully annoying, isn't it, when people insist on letting you know about their problem, but refuse to either allow you to do anything about it, or to see the right expert to solve it, either. As you say, if they insist on crying on your shoulder for 10 years, what does that get you ? Rusty shoulders !
And its no excuse for her to say "I've got no medical (aid)" --- if she's taking so many pills, they cost a lotta money, and they're obviously not achieving anything useful. It could be cheaper to see the right specialist a couple of times, and get onto the most useful generic ( hence cheaper ) medication ).
Everything costs somebody something. Maybe you could arrange for her to be seen by a shrink at the nearest large state hospital, otr at the Dept of Psychiatry / Psychology at your nearest medical school ?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9322 votes
67% - 18678 votes