Question

Therapy, Therapist & Communication
CS I am currently on therapy. One of the issues identified are poor or lack of communication in our relationship. That is fine I agree and am willing to be empowered in that area as I am willing to grow in other areas such as self-esteem and so forth. But my problem is that during the last session this morning, it was difficult for my therapist to come forward with strategies to develop my communication to the highest level. The Therapist only mentioned that there are different levels of communicating BUT fails to come up with ways for me to be empowered to be a better communiator and a listener to my wife. I love my wife. But therapist just does not help. Now that we have been aware of this for the past 5 sessions and nothing has been developed towards this, I just keep quiet and not communicate at home in fear that I may be doing the opposite of effective and good communication. Any help out there for me please. iw ant to be a better communcator.

You may have identified some important issues which you need to discuss frankly with your therapist. Maybe he/she has identified some of your problems correctly, but you are right and reasonable to expect him/her to have a specific and organized plan of how to deal with these issues. This is why I promote CBT (COgniti9ve-Behaviour Therapy ) counselling, which centrally requires such a plan, and achieves the goals it sets out. If this particular therapist is not able to deliver the goods you need, you shoudl politely ask him/her to recommend another good therapist in your area who DOES practise CBT, and who can be of more practical help for you