Question

thoughts
Why is it that when i feel depressed that i get thoughts about hurting myself and only when i do i feel better.I dont understand it.

I understand your question, lb, but the answer is actually very complex and would depend in many ways on details about yourself that would only become clear during a proper formal assessment by a shrink. It'd be worth arranging a consultation with a good local shrink, to discuss this and related issues, and how you can avoid both the depressions and the unpleasant throughts.