Question

Thoughts
Doctor, I really hope that you will be able to help me. The thing is that sometimes suddenly (and I mean suddenly like out of the blue) an idea will come up in my head about something that I must do and then I know for a fact that doing it will be wrong and that I will never be able to do it. There is then like a constant battle in my head between right and wrong. I know that I will never do anything that I don’t believe is the right thing to do, but it seems to me that I can’t get rid of these negative thoughts. It makes me feel depressed and short tempered and it has a serious effect on my health and my performance at work and in my personal life. Since this started about three years ago, it resulted in depression and a very low self image and self esteem. As a result the depression my Doctor prescribed antidepressants and I am currently seeing a clinical psychologist, but even that doesn’t help. It makes me doubt everything in life. I don’t want to feel like this. Where does it come from and why is it affecting me? What can I do to avoid these types of thoughts and to make it go away and stay away?

Hmm. Not crazy, but inconvenient and uncomfortable for you. Sounds like a basically obsessive-compulsive problem, either an Obsessive personality or OCD. I'm puzzled though that you don't seem to have experienced improvement with treatment, OCD, as well as depression, tends to respond to the use of modern antidepressants, and a clinical psychologist IF they are using the best modern techniques like CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) usually help considerablt. When you ask both your psychiatrist and your psychologist these questions, what do THEY say ?