Question

Thrush
For the past two or three months I have recurring vaginal itching. I have had thrush before, but I am not sure if it''s thrush, because my anus itches as well. It usually starts with itching of my anus (around the hole). I scratch and soon after my vagina starts itching as well. I know I shouldn''t scratch, but it really itches badly! I have used Medaspor, but it only helps for a few days and then my anus starts itching again. I rub a bit of Medaspor around my anus hole as well, but it seems that it makes it worse. I do not have sex with my husband, because of the itching and sometimes burning of my vagina. I think the big problem is the anal itching. It can''t be because of poor hygiene. I am very constipated and am not sure if it can cause the itching. What could the cause be and how can I treat it? I really need help!! I am not able to go to the doctor.

Petra

I really suggest that you do consult a doctor for an examination and a papsmear. If it is due to a yeast infection, you will have to be treated with an oral anti-fungal drug, as well as topical anti-fungal cream. You and your husband should be treated, as your husband can also be infected without any symptoms. Diabetes will also have to be excluded in yourself and your husband, as this is a common cause for chronic yeast infections.

In the interim, you should treat your constipation with Laxette suryp, 20 ml twice daily and 2 to 4 Softlax tablets at night. I also suggest that you take deworming tablets, as an infection with hook worm can also cause severe anal itching.

Ask your pharmacist for Canestin cream, as well as Proctocydil cream, which can be applied to the anus and might aleviate the irritation to the anus.