Ask an expert

18 Dec 2004

Thunder thighs
What exercise can i do 2 get rid of my fat thighs?
Answer 403 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Das

You are not alone in having this problem - many people struggle with the same thing, and though it might be that some people have a stomach, others struggle with the thighs, others with the love handles, like you. If you just look back at the last couple of weeks on the forum, you will see how many people are asking similar question.

Now, the answer is not that simple. What I can guarantee is that things like the lunges and thigh exercises till you are blue in the face will not work on their own. It is a myth that you can do exercises like this for the thighs only and see any results. What you need to do is dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat. Remember, the problem here is excessive body fat and so the only way to solve it is to exercise in such a way that your body fat comes down. It will happen all over, not just on the hips, and so it might take a while, but it is the only way.

Remember also that for toning, which is an important part of losing weight and gaining the appearance you are after, you have to use the muscle - that's where things like lunges and squats come in. I do suggest that you do this type of thing regularly, but remember that the cardio exercises like running and cycling are also using the thighs and that's what your focus should be on.

Lastly, keep in mind that this is a very common problem, and changes in certain areas can happen very slowly, because some people do just have a specific distribution of fat, and it can be hard to fight against this.

However, be patient and keep at it!

Good luck
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.