Question

28 Oct 2009

Thyroid

I have not been feeling well for a while now but could not really tell my gp what was wrong. I was tired a lot, got headahes and my joints ached - but I am stll young. You will also remember some recent posts about some really bad migraines and mri ect... I asked my doctor to also check my thyroid evethough we did check it in May. We did an the results came back at 4.35. for the tsh In the meantime I looked up thyroid on the internet and it described the way I feel completely - hypothyroidsm. She also wants to check for antibodies. Would you recommed I go on meds for my thyroid. I am deseperate to feel better. I realise 4.35 is just a little higher than normal - but I cannot carry on like this. I am constantly cold, my skin is itchy, I have no libido, I am tired ALL the time, my joints are painful, my head hurts, I use to be a lively bubbly energetic person - not this wet tea bag.

If I sound excited at the idea of taking meds - I am. I feel hopeful that there is actually a reason that I am feeling so strange and that it is not normal and I could feel different.

Please tell me what you would do.

Belinda

Hallo Belinda
Your doctor will first have to do your full thyroid function test ( probably with your antibody test) and if it is lower than normal, go onto the supplementary Thyroid hormone if she suggests it. There is no reason to suffer with hypothyrodism symptoms if it can be treated