Question

Thyroid
I recently miscarried because of an incompetent cervix. Unfortunately, I was at 24 weeks and it was too late to put in a stitch. I have subsequently also had some thryoid bloods done and they came back with T4 and TSH levels normal but my thyroid antibodies were extremely high:
Thyroglobulin Ab = 165.19 (Reference 0.31 - 4.11)
Thyroid antimicrosomal Ab = 21.59 (Reference 0.16- 5.61)
The physician says that it is just a viral infection and there is nothing to be done except repeat the test in 3 to 4 months.

How would I know if this is just a virus and not a permanent condition? Would having a high thyroid antibody count contribute to miscarriage? Would it also affect my fertility and ability to conceive again?

Dear C

Thyroid antibodies are have been known to cross the placenta and can indeed interfere with the foetal thyroid and other foetal functions. However thyroid antibodies are more commonly associated with first trimester pregnancy losses and therefore may contribute to early miscarriages.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim