Question

Thyroid
Do''s and dont''s for under-active thyroid/graves disease. Diet suggestions

Dear Arlene
If you suffer from an underactive thyroid, then I trust that your doctor has prescribed thyroid hormone replacement therapy (e.g. Eltroxin or a similar medication)? You need to take the medication as prescribed and it can take up to 3 months for your thyroid levels to get back to normal. Don't take any herbal thyroid stimulating products which contain iodine as this can make the condition worse. From a dietary point of view, you are probably getting sufficient iodine from table salt which if fortified with iodine in South Africa. To lose weight, you can try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day. The exercise is particularly important to stimulate your metabolism which is probably sluggish because of the lack of thyroid hormone.
I hope your thyroid levels will soon be back to normal.