Question

thyroid problem
Gynae doc doesn't answer my question so I have to ask you. I have been on yasmin for a year for suspected pcos and my periods are much better. A while ago I got fat and exhausted and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and put on eltroxin. How does eltroxin work and can I stop it when I feel better? Do I have to be checked every 6 weeks for thyroid levels because I can't actually afford that- can I wait 6 MONTHS? Is the thyroid problem related to pcos and why did it suddenly appear?If I decide not to go for 6-weekly blood tests, am I in any danger and what would be the signs of that? Could I for example, if I got palpitations from too high dosage, just take half a tablet for a while until it settled down? Is there danger in taking too little eltroxin for several months only?.Also, the first fortnight i took eltroxin I actually lost weight but now it is piling on again after the 4th week.Why?

Dear Pcos
Eltroxin use is like insulin for diabetics - it can't be stopped or you will go back to being tired and picking up weight. Usually you have to check every 6 weeks just until your levels are stabilized ( 2-3 times max) and then you can check only once a year. Don't mess with the dosages yourself. If you take too little, you may get hypothyrodism and if you take too much you can get Hyperthyroidism. Your body may be used to the dosage now and still need a little bit more - best is to check with a blood test - your doc can do only the TSH to save money.