Question

Thyroid problems?
I would like to know what the symptoms are for thyroid problems. My mother had an overactive thyroid a few years ago, but it has cleared up since through medication. Is it hereditory? Also, I am trying to fall pregnant and would like to know if I have such a problem would it interefere with me conceiving? I am 22 years old, 1.7m tall and weigh 54kgs, if that will put any light on the subject!? I also have a history of anaemia and take iron supplements daily.
I haven't as yet any reason to suspect that I have a thyroid problem, but I would like to know more about the subject and know what to look out for? I have my bloodpressure and iron levels checked regularly and all seems in order at the moment.

Your assistance is always appreciated!

Vivica, in a nutshell the symptoms of an under active thyroid are those of an under active metabolism (slow pulse rate, weight loss, constipation, increased menstruation, lack of energy, depression, hoarse voice, cold intolerance and an enlarged thyroid) and an over active thyroid causes an overactive metabolism (increased pulse rate, weight loss with increased appetite, frequent defecation, infrequent periods, tremor, irritability, sweating, itching, dislike of hot weather and an enlarged thyroid).
Thyroid problems may definitely keep you from falling pregnant and the easiest way to find out whether you have thyroid problems, is to have blood taken for a thyroid function tests. Good luck.