Ask an expert

02 Feb 2009

thyroid problems
My family has a history of thyroid problems on both sides.
I have a history of rapid weight gain and weight loss without apparent reason.
Have been diagnosed with a heart murmur.
My basal body temperature is between 35 - 36 degrees C.
I have had a TSH test twice both times it came back with TSH of between 4.5 and 4.8.
My GP has not put me on any medication.
I have iodine sensitivity.(can' t take kelp supplements, can' t eat fish, skin reaction to providone)
Recently my fingers on both hands have started to swell, go white and hard.
Should I seek the advice of an endocrinologist and what testing should I ask for?
Answer 304 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Kim
You could get a second opinion from a physician. Don't ask for specific tests, tell him your symptoms and let him examine you - he will do the tests he thinks is necessary to exclude thyroid problems ( like a full thyroid screen with antibodies).
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9324 votes
67% - 18754 votes