Question

thyroid swollen, bloods normal, can't lose weight
Hello. My thyroid is slightly swollen. I went to the doctor and he send my blood work in. Everything was normal. Now he is sending me for a sonar scan. What will a sonar scan show us? Why is it necessary? I have fatigue, muscle pains and lots of trouble losing weight. I thought for sure my thyroid was not producing enough hormone. Wouldn't the blood work show that?

please help

M

M, the sonar will tell what the cause of the swelling is – nodules or a diffuse swelling. This doesn’t have to affect the functioning of the thyroid and therefore doesn’t show on a blood test. Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.