Ask an expert

14 Jan 2008

Hi Doc
I need advice urgently. We have a plague of ticks on our smallholding. It is a struggle to keep all of the animals free of ticks. I have to treat them constantly otherwise they are covered in ticks. The problem is that the small ticks find their way onto my head. Now I have long thick hair. I can feel the tick/s walking on my scalp - it drives me crazy, and the bite marks itches and forms sores on my scalp. I cannot catch the little ticks on my own head as I cannot see the top and back of my own head and they are very small - 1 to 2 mm and can also walk fast. Sometimes when I raise my head from my pillow I find one that fell off. I am 100% certain it is ticks - the same species that infests my dogs, who sleep with me. What I want to know: I can dip or frontline my dogs, but what can I use on my own head? Like I said there is no way I can catch them myself, so I would have to use a shampoo or something. I also tried combing them out with a lice comb, but as they are so small they are not caught in the teeth of the comb.
Please help, I cannot concentrate at work and at home I scratch and try to catch the bloody things to the exclusion of anything else. Please do not tell me my dogs should not sleep with me - they are my children and I will give them maximum treatment against the ticks. Just for interest sake: I found that the ticks on clothes comes out alive after washing a full cycle in the washing machine.
Kind regards
Answer 647 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Martie
this could be dangerous for you as you may be at serious risk to develop tickbite fever. Try Frontline on the dogs. Try Para-spray on your hair for yourself? Just be very careful not to use anything that is not approved for human use as most commercial chemicals that will kill ticks are absorbed through the skin and can cause serious poisoning (i.e. dog dips) Shampoo the dogs (and yourself) with Margaret Roberts "Khaki weed" shampoo Tel: 012 504-1729 or 071 161-6441

Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9321 votes
67% - 18647 votes