Question

Tinnitus
I put this question to fitness Doc and was asked to put it to you. I am 43 and do plenty of excercise. I swim, run, gym, and cycle 5 -6 time a week, sometimes twice a day. I have a constant ring in my ears and it gets worse at night. Is this stress related or does excercise have anything to do with it.
Regards Barry

Barry, the treatment of tinnitus all depends on whether we can find out what the cause of the tinnitus is. Tinnitus may occur as a symptom of nearly all ear disorders. The treatment is thus firstly aimed at treating the underling cause, secondly at treating any associated hearing loss and then at masking the tinnitus by means of background noise that is more pleasant than the tinnitus itself (radio etc). I doubt that it is due to stress or exercise, but I suppose it’s possible. The best person to help you with all this would an ENT surgeon. Good luck.