Ask an expert

28 Jan 2003

Tinnitus is driving me mad
Hi doc, I have tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears). The ringing started happening about 3-4 years ago and seems to be slowly worsening. The ringing occurs in both ears and is a constant high pitched zinging, similar to a tv or computer monitor sound.
I have been to a dr. Brom (a homeopath) in Roodepoort and he gave me some medication, explaining that it could take up to 6-8 months to stop. I discontinued the medication after 2 months as nothing seemed to be happening. My ears also seem to be a bit blocked (similar to what is experienced when travelling to the coast).
In this day and age, I'm sure there must be a cure for this phenomenon.
Please give me some advise as to what can be done.
I currently stay in Pretoria and I am a white male at 40 years old.
Answer 1,281 views

01 Jan 0001

Scotty, the treatment of tinnitus all depends on whether we can find out what the cause of the tinnitus is. Tinnitus may occur as a symptom of nearly all ear disorders. The treatment is thus firstly aimed at treating the underling cause, secondly at treating any associated hearing loss and then at masking the tinnitus by means of background noise that is more pleasant than the tinnitus itself (radio etc). I doubt that it is due to stress or exercise, but I suppose it’s possible. The best person to help you with all this would an ENT surgeon or maybe a neurologist. Good luck.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.