Question

Tired
Diet Doc

I live on a diet that provides me with a calorie intake of between 750 -1200 per day. I jog about 1km every 2nd day, do light weigth training exercise 3x p/w and cardio kickboxing 3xp/w for about 30 min each time. My diet consists of chicken / fish, no fat or oils, very little cane sughar (6 tsp p/d), 2 fruits and starch once a day ( I cut that out from 3x p/d because I picked up weight again - ) I am constantly tired and listless, which of course results in me skipping exercise - am I 41 and never had any kids - do I consult a dietitian or a fitness expert?

Dear Edwina
Compliments of the season to you. I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian to help you with your diet because feeling chronically tired and exhausted can be due to lack of energy in the diet or an iron deficiency. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area.