Question

Tired and Lethargic
Hi Diet Doc! Thank you for all your advice - you have helped me alot! I am 20kgs over weight and following a healthy eating plan (similar to weighless) and doing about 4.5 hours of gym a week. Lately I am feeling so run down, tired and lethargic - even my body feels weak...The other day I felt so tired I just sat down and cried (??) cos I felt so terrible!! I am also working extra shifts at work...I am eating alot of veggies and grains,etc but I think I need a mulitivitamin or something?? I have tried Supradyn Recharge, but it has no effect. Could you pls recommend what vitamins I should be taking (and which veggies would be more beneficial?) Thanks again for your invaluable advice!

Dear Reader
Thank YOU for your kind words - it is a pleasure to assist Readers. If you read this weeks DietDoc Topic, you may have noticed that I emphasise that you need to eat sufficient energy-rich carbs to support your exercise programme even when you are on a weight loss diet. I think you are trying to do too much - working extra shifts, trying to lose weight and going to gym. Do you get sufficient sleep? and are you feeling stressed by all the demands you are making on your body? Try to relax and have some quality time for yourself every day. How much carbohydrate (wholewheat bread, hi-bran breakfast cereals, potatoes, brown rice, pasta made from 100% Durum wheat, etc) are you eating on this diet? If the answer is "hardly any", then I would suggest that you click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' and compare this diet with the one you are presently using - make the necessary changes to ensure that you ingest sufficient carbohydrate to sustain your busy programme. How long did you take the Supradyn Recharge? If you have underlying iron-deficiency anaemia then you need to take this supplement for at least 3-4 months to replenish your body iron stores. Foods that are rich in iron include: liver, read meat, poultry, fish, egg yolk and dried fruit and iron-fortified breakfast cereals. See if you are eating too little of these foods and if so, increase your intake, but use lean varieties.
Hope you feel better soon.