Question

tiredness
I need to know why I have to get up at least 6 times a night to drink water as I get very thirsty and also sometimes when I feel a bit nauseous I have to have something sweet and then feel fine and all I want to do is sleep when I get home from work

Dear Marilyn
I am worried that you may suffer from an insulin problem, because pronounced thirst, nausea when you eat something sweet and feeling tired all the time, can all point to insulin inefficiency. Please make an appointment with your medical doctor and ask him/her to have your blood sugar and insulin levels tested for insulin resistance, hypoglycaemia and/or diabetes.
If you do have a problem with insulin please see a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin problem, and any medications the dr may prescribe, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet’nFood' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if your doctor gives permission.